In the preceding 8 years of production, the Mini changed little. There were a few minor trim revisions and mechanical tweaks, most important of which was the 1962 introduction of baulk ring synchromesh and two-leading shoes at the front brakes.
But all that changed in 1968 with the introduction of the Morris Mini 1000 Mk II, the new model offering better performance and higher gearing, a remote control gear-change that was stiff but positive, a smaller turning circle, lighter brakes with better fade resistance, easier cruising at highway speeds and a mild makeover of the interior trim level.
As was the case with most cars of the era blessed with the fitment of SU carburetors and electric fuel pumps, the Mini would start easily and warm up quickly without flat spots. NVH was addressed with the fitment of a plastic multiblade radiator cooling fan, and extra sound-deadening material being used.
The Hydroelastic suspension negated the short pitching movement evident in the previous generation Mini's, providing a softer and more level vertical motion, although no setup known to man could remove entirely the effects of such a short wheelbase.
The ever evident understeer that increased with cornering speed would change to neutral or indeed oversteer
if you took your foot off the accelerator mid-bend. Predictable for even the mosst inexperienced driver, the predictability of the "little brick" made it a much safer car than its size portrayed.
The rack-and-pinion steering was precise, and with the changes made to the rack the Mini now boasted a very small turning circle. Vision, always a strong point of the Mini, was upgraded by increasing the rear window 1 inch. And to help reduce servicing costs, the original 16 grease points requiring attention every 1,000 miles were replaced by only eight every 3000 miles.
- Years of Manufacture: 1968 - 1972
- Number Built: 5,300,000+ (all models)
- Price at Introduction:
- Date of Introduction:
- Unitary construction (Monocoque), integral with steel body
- Exterior Dimensions:
- Total Length: 10' 0.25 in.
- Total Width: 4' 7.5 in.
- Total Height at kerb weight: 4' 5.0 in.
- Ground Clearance: 6.0 in.
- Wheelbase: 6' 8.0 in.
- Front Track: 3' 11.4 in.
- Rear Track:
3' 9.9 in.
- Kerb Weight:
- Fuel Tank:
- Turning Circle:
- Petrol gauge
- Oil Filter Tell-Tale
- Temp gauge
- Oil pressure gauge
- Main beam warning light
- Ignition warning light
- Transmission (Manual, 4 Speed):
- Four speed, all synchromesh with floor shift
- 1st: 3.63:1
- 2nd: 2.17:1
- 3rd: 1.41:1
- 4th: 1.0:1
- Reverse: 3.63:1
- Speed In Gears:
- 1st: 26 mph / 42 km/h
- 2nd: 44 mph / 71 km/h
- 3rd: 67 mph / 108 km/h
- 4th: 75 mph / 121 km/h
- Borg and Beck diaphragm spring, 7 inch diameter
- Rear Axle Ratio:
- Hellical spur gears, 3.44:1
- Maximum Speed:
- Fuel Consumption:
- 40 mpg / 7.1 liters per 100 km
- 0 - 60 mph:
- Standing Quarter Mile: 22.5 sec
- Engine (4 Cylinder):
- Capacity: 998cc
- Type: Conventional, watercooled four
stroke, reciprocating piston type with
4 cylinders, single overhead cam
- Configuration: Front mounted, transverse
- Head: Pushrod and rocker actuated ohv
with two valves per cylinder
- Fuel System: SU HS2 Single
downdraft type carburetor with SU electric fuel pump
- Bore and Stroke: 2.54 in. (64.6mm) x 3.00 in. (76.2mm)
38 bhp @ 5,250rpm
52.0 ft. lb. @ 2,700rpm
- Compression Ratio:
8.3:1, with a minimum octane rating of 97RM
- Ignition and Electrical:
- 12 volt, 34 amp. hr
- Lucas generator
- Lucas sealed filament headlamps 100/80 watt total
- 2 x fuses
- Wipers set at single speed, and self parking
- Front: Independent, wishbones, hydrolastic suspension units interconnected with rear units
- Rear: Independent, trailing arms, hydrolastic suspension units
- Rack and Pinion
- Wheel diameter: 15.75
- Lockheed drums, front and rear
- Front: 7 in. diameter, 1.5 inch wide shoes
- Rear: 7 in. diameter, 1.25 inch wide shoes
- Swept Area Front: 65.9 sq. in.
- Swept Area Rear: 54.9 sq. in.
- Total Swept Area: 120.8 sq. in.
- Pressed steel disc wheels
- 4 stud fixing
- 3.5 inch wide rim
- Dunlop C41 Cross-Ply Tubeless
- 5.20 - 10 inch